Arsenal’s current resurgence was checked by a cussed Crystal Palace, who claimed a hard-fought level from a forgettable encounter at Emirates Stadium.
Tagged as relegation candidates as little as three weeks in the past, the Gunners got here into the sport off the again of 4 straight wins in all competitions, however have been unable to seek out their well past the well-drilled and disciplined guests.
For a aspect in such good type, Arsenal have been a disappointment going ahead, their greatest effort at aim a shot on the flip from Alexandre Lacazette into the side-netting.
Their solely different clear-cut likelihood was an angled shot from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang that Vicente Guaita palmed away.
There was extra goalmouth motion on the different end, with James Tomkins heading an Eberechi Eze free-kick in opposition to the bar and Christian Benteke drawing a high quality save from Bernd Leno with a nodded effort of his personal.
The level leaves Arsenal eleventh on 24 factors and Palace two factors and a league place worse off, however comfortably away from any relegation worries.
A recreation to neglect
It was solely three weeks in the past that West Brom boss Sam Allardyce stated Arsenal have been in the midst of a battle in opposition to the drop.
To be honest to Allardyce, he had some extent on the time. But that prediction has been made to look considerably silly by the Gunners’ subsequent three straight league wins, which included hammering the flailing Baggies.
In mild of their upturn in type this consequence has to rely as a minor blip, nevertheless it underlines the truth that Arteta’s aspect stay a piece in progress.
Young gamers like Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe have added some much-needed zip and artistic aptitude in current video games, however they have been stifled right here, flickering into life all too not often in opposition to a dogged opponent.
Lacazette had scored in every of the final three league video games however was marshalled properly by Palace and spurned his solely actual likelihood, whereas Aubameyang stays frustratingly ineffective in his function on the left.
Credit then to Palace, who had gone 5 video games with out a win earlier than beating Sheffield United 2-0 final day out within the high flight, however now have one other, deserved clear sheet.
This was not purely a backs-against-the-wall show by Roy Hodgson’s aspect. They sought to burst ahead following transitions, utilizing the guile and tempo of Eze and Wilfried Zaha to problem the house defence.
But for the crossbar, goalkeeper Leno and higher consciousness from James McArthur, who was unable to show in a flick on from Benteke from a nook, they’d have claimed a win that will not have been fully undeserved.
Before Thursday’s recreation, Hodgson described Palace’s scenario – 22 factors, 10 away from the underside three – as “somewhat comfortable”.
Thursday’s level and their efficiency will solely add to their sense of consolation.
One crumb of consolation for Arsenal is that they now have their first dwelling clear sheet of the league season and a fit-again Thomas Partey, who performed 20 minutes after recovering from a thigh harm that had sidelined him for a month.
Arsenal now 5 with out a win in opposition to Palace
- Arsenal prolonged their winless top-flight league run in opposition to Crystal Palace to 5 matches, drawing 4 of these (L1).
- Crystal Palace have stored consecutive Premier League clear sheets for the primary time since a run of 4 in a row between February and June final 12 months.
- Arsenal have stored 4 consecutive clear sheets in all competitions for the primary time since October 2016.
- Arsenal have failed to attain in seven Premier League matches this season, as many as within the entirety of final season, final failing to attain in additional video games in a season in 2015/16 (8).
- Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke had extra pictures than another participant tonight (6) – the final 5 gamers to have 6+ pictures in a Premier League recreation on the Emirates have all been visiting gamers: John McGinn (Sept 2019), Raul Jimenez (Nov 2019), Sadio Mane (July 2020), Danny Welbeck (July 2020) and Benteke.
- Crystal Palace have stored extra Premier League clear sheets in two matches in 2021 (2) than they managed of their ultimate 24 matches in 2020 (1).
How to play
Rate gamers out of 10 all through or after the sport. The rater will shut half-hour after the ultimate whistle.
Rating vary key = Give it up = Pure perfection
- 23David LuizBooked at 67mins
- 15Maitland-NilesSubstituted forPépéat 65′minutes
- 8CeballosSubstituted forParteyat 69′minutes
- 32Smith Rowe
- 9LacazetteSubstituted forNketiahat 81′minutes
- 17Cédric Soares
- 5TomkinsBooked at 42mins
- 4MilivojevicSubstituted forMcCarthyat 89′minutes
- 20BentekeSubstituted forJ Ayewat 81′minutes
- 3van Aanholt
- 9J Ayew
Match ends, Arsenal 0, Crystal Palace 0.
Second Half ends, Arsenal 0, Crystal Palace 0.
Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by James McArthur (Crystal Palace).
Corner, Crystal Palace. Conceded by Héctor Bellerín.
Attempt blocked. Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace) left footed shot from the left aspect of the field is blocked.
Bukayo Saka (Arsenal) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by James McArthur (Crystal Palace).
Thomas Partey (Arsenal) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace).
Substitution, Crystal Palace. James McCarthy replaces Luka Milivojevic.
Attempt missed. Nicolas Pépé (Arsenal) left footed shot from outdoors the field is excessive and extensive to the left following a set piece scenario.
Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace).
Attempt blocked. Granit Xhaka (Arsenal) left footed shot from outdoors the field is blocked. Assisted by Thomas Partey.
Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by Joel Ward (Crystal Palace).
Attempt blocked. Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal) left footed shot from outdoors the field is blocked.
Attempt missed. Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal) header from the centre of the field misses to the left. Assisted by Rob Holding with a headed go following a nook.
Corner, Arsenal. Conceded by James Tomkins.
#Stubborn #Palace #Arsenals #winning #run